Pre-retreat meal with Marilyn: Bangkok Thai

Boy how time has flown. Peeking at the calendar today I realized I had been in Winnipeg for three months now. Reflecting back on this time I realized how easy and seamless it has been to orient myself to this new environment. Kudos to all the great friends I have and have made, my wonderfully inviting program, and supportive family. Of course, there's Marilyn. Going these last two months without seeing each other was tough, but the light at the end of the tunnel was a return trip to Winnipeg, this time for our pediatric residents retreat.

Before going off to retreat, we had to have a celebratory "you're back in Winnipeg!" meal. Her craving that night was for Thai and so off we went to Bangkok Thai, an establishment that many of my co-workers rave about. Located literally a five minute walk from where I live, we took a nice lazy stroll over to the restaurant.
Wings are Marilyn's kryptonite. The Thai Chicken Wings here were nicely fried and finished with a Thai chili sauce. A little remincent of the generic chili sauce you can get from the supermarket, but nevertheless a humble beginning to our meal. Happy GF, happy life right?
I know, I know, I posted a picture of rice. I wanted to showcase the fancy metal bowls that Bangkok Thai serves their plump coconut rice in. A nice little touch that also speaks to the quality of the restaurant.
We had a Masaman Curry Chicken. Being of the milder variety, this curry was loaded with vegetables, potatoes and carrots. Very tasty and went so well with the rice.
Pineapple Curry Prawns was the next offering to our thankful stomachs. Big juicy pieces of prawns with potatoes and pineapples in a mild curry sauce. The pineapples here add a ton of sweetness to the spiciness and richness of the curry.
Its hard to go to a Thai restaurant and not get their Pad Thai. Arguably the most popular Thai dish, the version here was a generous helping of delicious rice noodles with egg, chicken and crisp bean sprouts. Nicely done and as authentic a version as I have had.

Bangkok Thai Restaurant on Urbanspoon

Comments